Black Torrington Primary School is a voluntary controlled, Church of England school set at the heart of the community, currently having two classes and approximately 25 pupils. In 2014 the school joined the Holsworthy Federation. This is a partnership with Bridgerule C of E Primary, Bradford Primary and Holsworthy Community College. Secondary education is usually provided at either Holsworthy or at Okehampton College.
The building dates back to 1894 with a more modern extension added in 2001 where a former barn had stood. The present accommodation comprises an entrance foyer, administrator’s office, staff office, library and reprographics area, two classrooms, kitchen, hall, toilets and storage areas. The hall is used for daily assemblies and acts of worship, as well as for lunch and physical activities.
Outside, the school has a playground and garden area, which backs on to open fields. The school also has access to the village playing fields, multi-purpose court and play park that are used regularly throughout the summer months. The village hall is used for dance and gymnastics in the winter months.
The school enjoys strong links with the community and St. Mary’s Church. The family atmosphere is one of the strengths of the school and everyone looks after everyone else. This is evident at playtimes when all ages play happily together.